or Print the Complete Resume
Mary D. Midkiff
Lexington, Kentucky, USA
Current university adjunct equine professor; Orthobionomy practitioner; Acupressure and Therapy Modality practitioner. Exceptional verbal and written communication skills (published 2 times international author); interaction and education with people from all over the world; articulate, strong public speaking ability; self-motivated, energetic.
PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Created, developed and sell “The InBalance Horse” essential oil blend aromatherapy for calming horses.
- Creator and Founder of www.womenandhorses.com; oil blend sales; newsletters, articles, products, books. Public speaking and sales at expositions worldwide.
- Sales preparation of young Thoroughbred horses for auction; presentation of yearlings at auction before potential buyers; riding and instruction for over 30 years. Race campaigned Thoroughbreds; started over 10 yearlings for race careers going to Graham Motion, Tom Proctor, Jim Bond, Buff Bradley, Dallas Stewart and Lon Wiggins.
- Sales of high-end clothing, sports gear and equipment for Orvis.
- Sourced and secured sponsorships for numerous horse related events and activities as an entrepreneur through my own business Equestrian Resources from 1992-2014.
- Sales of high-end Town Branch Spirits including bourbon, single malt whisky, gin, rum, rye whisky and Lexington Brewing Company beers including Bourbon Barrel Ale, Kentucky Ale, Vanilla Barrel Ale, Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout and other bourbon barrel aged specialty and seasonal beers. Retail sales in visitor’s center and Guide tours through distillery and brewery with tastings and educational information on the history, making, ingredients and taste profiles of our products
- Adjunct University Professor in Equine Studies in-seat, labs and online. Teaching all levels of Equine Rehabilitation and Therapy in a four-year baccalaureate university program.
- Created and organized Women & Horses™ programs, workshops and products. Brought together horse industry and medical experts for workshops focused on the fitness, health and performance of female equestrians. Traveled to expos and conventions selling W&H products with demonstrations. Arranged for venue, speaker travel, signage, media coverage, sponsorships, publicity and registration. Author of two award winning international books, clinician and speaker.
- Presented “The Focused Horse” and Women & Horses clinics and seminars worldwide. Presentations include all Equitana Expos in the United States and the Pacific Rim, state sponsored expos and state fairs, Expo Cavalo in Brazil plus private clinics at Haras Lagoinha, all Equine Affaire Expos in the United States, World Equestrian Games 2010.
Partnering and Fund Raising
- Partnered with American Quarter Horse Association and Women’s Sports Foundation to create a one-day program for New York City inner city youth. Held at Chelsea Piers in Manhattan, inner city youth were introduced to horses and riding; transforming and enabling young lives.
- Created sponsor relationships for the North American Young Riders Championships in Chicago.
- Along with the Kentucky Equine Education Project, developed a startup $15,000 funding base and had equipment donated for the Louisville Metro Parks Summer Equestrian Program. Riding arena redevelopment and construction, weekly summer horse related activities for inner city youth and community programs during the Fall and Winter. Arranged day trips, transportation, food, publicity and communications.
- Joined Boulder County Horse Association with local public officials to spend a day together on an annual basis in a public lands space with horses and horse people. Raised over $10,000 for each annual event as well as securing a venue and organizing every aspect of the event.
- Served the Kentucky Cancer Center and First Lady Jane Beshear’s Horses and Hope for 8 years to raise awareness and funding for a cancer screening and treatment van valued at $1million for Kentucky horse industry employees.
- Award winning and best-selling author of “She Flies Without Wings: How Horses Touch a Woman’s Soul” (Random House) and “Fitness, Performance and the Female Equestrian” (Macmillan).
- National Literary “Willa” Award Winner for Best Memoir for “She Flies Without Wings: How Horses Touch a Woman’s Soul”
- Outstanding Service Award, American Medical Equestrian Association
- Achievement Award, Boulder County Horseman’s Association
- National Youth Leadership Award, American Youth Horse Council
- Midway University – Adjunct Professor, Equine Studies, Midway, KY (2017 to present)
- Alltech – Tour Guide and Retail Sales, Town Branch Distillery and Lexington Brewing Co., Lexington, KY (2017-present)
- Kentucky Equine Education Project, Chairman Grassroots Committee, Lexington, KY (2019)
- Society of Orthobionomy International, Certified practitioner, Lexington, KY (2019 to present)
- Keeneland Association Inc. – Tour Guide and Retail Sales, Lexington, KY (2018)
- Orvis, Retail Sales Associate, Louisville, KY (2016-2017)
- Midkiff Horse Training, Licensed Thoroughbred Race Trainer, Racing Manager, LaGrange, KY (2014-2017)
- Equestrian Resources, President, Boulder, CO and Louisville, KY (1992-2007)
- Women & Horses ™, Founder and Director, Product development and sales, workshops, publisher/author (1992-present)
- American Horse Council, Executive Secretary of Showing, Director of Membership, Washington, D.C.(1987-1991)
- Stonegate Standardbred Farm, New Dynasty Stables, Partnership Manager, Glen Gardner, NJ
- New Jersey Historical Society, Event Planner, Tour Guide, Morven, Princeton, NJ
- Fasig-Tipton, Inc., Fair Hill Training Center Project Associate, Elmont, NY and Fair Hill, MD
- International Thoroughbred Breeders, Inc., Bloodstock Specialist, Hightstown, NJ
Bachelor of General Studies in Advertising and Communications, University of Kentucky, College of Journalism Dean’s List Honors, GPA 3.75
British Horse Society Horsemaster’s Certification, Potomac Horse Center, Gaithersburg, MD, Certified by the British Horse Society and the Maryland State Department of Education
Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, Kentucky Thoroughbred Race Trainer’s License (Current)
Society of Ortho-Bionomy International: Human and Horse Certification 2020
MS Office, Excel, Power Point, Dropbox, Skype, Facebook, Linked In, POS systems, Quizlet, Moodle, Microsoft TEAMS and CANVAS.